Meet Dr. Brarens
Cincinnati Reconstructive Ankle Surgeon
A Personal Message from Dr. Robert M. Brarens
“Every day that I am able to help my patients find relief is fulfilling. I have the rare privilege of loving what I do, and through my training and interest in advancing both my knowledge and abilities, I am able to provide accurate diagnoses and treatments for my patients, providing the life-changing relief they need. From the complex repair of a severe trauma of the foot and ankle or debilitating sports injuries, to the correction of chronic or congenital deformities of the lower extremity in adults and children, treating patients across the lifespan is important to me. Even for everyday treatments for conditions like plantar fasciitis and ingrown toenails, I have the rare privilege of loving what I do.
I am continuing to advance my expertise within the field of podiatric medicine. I participate in three residency programs in the city, training physicians and surgeons for the future. I am an Ortho-Fix Master Surgeon and a Master Surgeon with EBI. In addition, I assist several companies in the development of new surgical tools and techniques for the treatment of foot and ankle disorders. I am a member of the Center of Excellence, an organization aimed at the education of all surgeons and medical professionals on the application and use of external fixation systems. I am the only surgeon in the Cincinnati tri-state area to hold credentialing for all approved total ankle replacement systems. It is my belief that through the continued pursuit of advanced knowledge and training, I become a better physician and medical resource for my patients.
The creation of SureStep Foot & Ankle Medical Center was a distinct vision that, with the dedication of a tremendous staff, we have been able to achieve three distinct principles:
- Our goal with every patient is to make their day and their lives better from the moment they enter our care.
- We work hard to make our office personal and friendly.
- Most people enter our “home” in pain. We do our very best not to add to their discomfort, from the first phone call to the moment they cross our threshold.
Our office is different than most, striving for a small-town feel in a big city. Though we are professional and respectful, you will find warm and friendly smiles from our staff, managers, and physicians. I find smiles and laughter can be as healing as medicine and I try to administer a little every day.”
Dr. Brarens is Board Certified in both Foot Surgery and in Rearfoot/Ankle Reconstructive Surgery. He is the only surgeon in the Cincinnati tri-state area trained and certified on all of the FDA-approved systems for total ankle replacements, allowing more options to accommodate each patient’s individual need(s). Dr. Brarens is the Director of the Podiatric Surgical Residency (PSR-36) at Mercy/Jewish Hospital
Dr. Robert M. Brarens grew up in the beautiful state of Colorado where he learned to appreciate the outdoors, physical fitness, and skiing. Enlisting in the United States Marine Corps upon graduation from high school, Dr. Brarens had the honor of serving in both Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Honorably discharged, he enrolled in Colorado State University. After graduation, he was accepted into Temple University Medical School. Graduating in the top 10 of his class, Dr. Brarens was selected for one of the top podiatric surgical residencies in the country at Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, Ohio, under Dr. Gerard V. Yu, where he finished as chief resident.
- Director of the Podiatry Surgical Residency Program at Mercy Health-JHK
- Diplomat of the American Board of Podiatric Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- Fellow of the American Society of Podiatric Surgeons
- Founding Member of the American Podiatric Medical Association
- Member of the Ohio Podiatric Medical Association
- Member of the Southern Ohio Academy of Podiatry
- Member of the American Academy of Podiatric Practice Management
- 5-Star HealthGrades surgeon
- United States Marine Corps
- Pediatric Foot & Ankle Specialist
- OrthoFix Center of Excellence Certification for Instruction of HBO External Fixation
- OrthoFix Master Surgeon
- SBI External Fixation Master Certified
- HBO External Fixation Certified
- ACFAS External Fixation Certified
- Arthrex/EBI Internal Fixation Certified
- STAR Total Ankle Certified
- Wright Medical In-Bone Total Ankle Certified
- Tornier Total Ankle Certified
- Depuy Total Ankle Certified
- One of America’s Top Podiatrists in 2010, '11, '12, 13', '14, '15, '17 and '19